Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Awesome Men, Where Are They?

My expectations of black men were developed at a young age. My father was the first man I'd ever known. As a child I thought my father was the most powerful and respected man in the world.  He was tall and walked with self assurance and purpose. When he talked-people listened.  At times living under his roof was difficult, sometimes downright unbearable, but unlike many black men, my father was there.  When 8 in 10 black kids grow up without a father that says something about black men. It also says something about black women, but most importantly that statistic says a lot about black future. The August issue of Ebony Magazine features eight different covers; each with a well known black man representing the title of "Black Cool." Inside, are what Ebony refers to as the 25 coolest brothers of all time.  I don't normally read Ebony nor am I particularly interested in what seems to be a pretty popular edition featuring cool black men.   I read where the Magazine said it was difficult to come to a consensus of who was in fact cool because of the subjective nature of the term.  The word cool by definition means moderately cold, not warm nor hot. The slang cool means highly skilled, but I don't want my definition of a highly skilled man to be subjective.  I want my definition of a highly skilled man to be without a doubt Awesome.   By definition Awesome means to inspire awe or characterize by awe.  Featured on one of Ebony's August covers is presidential nominee Barack Obama. He is Awesome.  He is awesome because never has a black man made it as far as he in the political arena. Obama is awesome because he inspires awe in people who have waited too long without hope.  Obama represents a future for many in this country who never felt like they belonged to this country or could ever be proud of this country until now. Obama is an Awesome man and I believe there are many more black awesome men.  My up coming series called Awesome Men profiles black men who are doing wonders not only for themselves but affecting others in an awesome wayIf you know an awesome man that by definition inspires awe or is characterized by awe, please send me some information on this person so that he may be highlighted in my series. It doesn't matter if he's a celebrity or your church pastor, if he is awesome let me know.  Stay tuned for this weekend's first edition of Awesome Men right here on reynalinares

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well written. I enjoy your blog.

Reyna Linares said...

Awww, dredscott, you just saying that cuz you luv me. ;)