Sunday, July 13, 2008

Speaking of Journalism...

I'll be in Chicago next weekend covering the Unity Journalists conference. Unity Journalists is an organization for journalists of color. There will be thousands of journalists from students to your big wig talking heads represented at the conference-talk about networking at it's best! I decided it was worth it to pay the $385 registration fee, plus the $239 air fare to attend this conference. I'm using two of my vacation days to attend and I just started my new job a month ago! The conference should provide lots of material for my blog. I'll have pictures as well. I think the theme of the conference is something about journalism changing. I think it will be interesting to hear the different prespectives on the future of journalism. As a blogger, newbie that I am, I believe the blogosphere will significantly influence the types of news the public receives. The blogosphere provides a forum for talented journalists who may not have the leverage (and they never do) at their current news organization to tell the stories that they want to tell. I remember as a general assignment reporter in mid-Missouri I often wanted to add a tag at the end of my minute and 15 second story with, "And for more information about this story, please email me at..." I felt like some stories could be told in a minute and 15 seconds but most stories couldn't! I promise to gather a lot of good information on the different workshops, speakers and of course the parties. No one will be off-limit to ReynaLinares so I hope they bring their A game! Stay tuned!

No comments: